Green Cards through Marriage: 5 Points You Need to Cover
- Marry a US Citizen after arriving in the US from a foreign country OR
- You are a US Citizen who marries an immigrant,
- You have the same concerns about green cards.
Here are 5 essential points you need to cover:
- The citizenship examination has 100 questions to study, but the marriage has literally thousands of questions to review. In other words, when you marry and apply for a green card, do not even think about this process unless the relationship is 100% REAL. I do not care if you know someone who claims to have “gotten away” with a fake marriage. Immigration can always catch that person the second time around. Plus marriage fraud is a crime and a permanent ban on future green card applications in virtually all cases.
- If you have ever had any trouble with the police, no matter how minor, please talk to the best immigration lawyer available to make certain that you will encounter no problems in seeking a green card through marriage. This issue applies to US citizens with certain crimes as well, not simply immigrants.
- If you are the US citizen, you must be sure that your tax returns reflect a minimum amount of income set by the government. In order to seek green cards through marriage, be sure to meet with the best immigration lawyer, even if it means travelling a distance from your home. Taxes are just one of many issues that arise in marriage based green card cases.
- Lawful entry is required in applications for green cards through marriage, when the paperwork is filed in the United States. There are some types of cases in which immigrants do not need to prove legal entry – but this example, yet again – proves why engaging the services of the best immigration lawyer you can find is a life-changing decision.
- Any prior immigration applications filed must be reviewed before applying for green cards through marriage. Whether you previously filed for a green card through employment, asylum, or another marriage, just to name three examples, your past immigration history ranks as a very significant factor.
Above are listed but a few of the many reasons why it is essential to locate the best immigration lawyer you can, to discuss the issue of green cards through marriage.
Do not be fooled by the deceptively easy-looking paperwork.
Do not be convinced by others who tell you that the process is simple. Ask yourself: how much experience do these “experts” have in dealing with Immigration?
We have seen thousands of married couples, many of whom ran into problems by:
- Using the services of lawyers who do not limit their work to Immigration or
- Paying “notarios” who are breaking the law by handling immigration work without a license to practice law or
- Trying to do it themselves.
“Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.” – Vince Lombardi