The First Ever Attorney in New Jersey to win “Immigration Lawyer of the Year” from Best Lawyers, Harlan York is Former Immigration Chair of the NJ State Bar Association and Former Co-Chair, NY State Bar Association CFLS Committee on Immigration. He currently serves on the American Immigration Lawyers Association National Practice Management Committee.
Mr. York has appeared on National Television on CBS This Morning with Charlie Rose and Primer Impacto on Univision, as well as speaking on a host of immigration issues on Telemundo, NBC, and PBS.
In his nearly two decades exclusively practicing immigration law, Mr. York notes among his most memorable cases:
- Arguing that immigrants with crimes should be allowed to remain in the U.S. upon proving rehabilitation and hardship to their American spouses and children
- Countless successful appeals before federal and administrative courts on issues regarding waivers of removal and political asylum
- Preparing applications for companies sponsoring immigrants in industries ranging from restaurants to construction to agriculture, to academic institutions and research labs
- Representation of high level athletes, artists and entertainers including winners of Emmys, Grammys and Olympic Medals
- Winning deportation cases for immigrants whose children have special needs
- Assisting victims of violence who suffered at the hands of both foreign and domestic aggressors
He frequently lectures on Immigration Law, including at Columbia, New York and Rutgers Law Schools. He is a well-known speaker at events sponsored by the New Jersey State Bar Foundation and Federal Bar Association. Mr. York was also a Judge at the American Mock Trial Tournament at Yale University. His highly rated Lawline.com Lecture Series is available for attorneys, law students and the public to study online for free.
Mr. York has also provided expert opinions to plaintiffs’ and defendants’ attorneys in civil matters as well as counsel to federal and state criminal defense lawyers, in cases relating to immigration, including the recent “Real Housewives of New Jersey” matter.
His chapter on Immigration Law Enforcement: Collaboration and Authority appears in the 2014 Thomson Reuters/Aspatore book, New Developments in Immigration Enforcement and Compliance: Leading Lawyers on Navigating Trends in Immigration Law (Inside the Minds).
Mr. York moderates annual panels for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, on the topics of “Protecting Immigrant Victims of Violence ” and “Immigration and Crime.”
A graduate of Choate Rosemary Hall, the State University of New York at Albany and the Tulane Law School, Mr. York is fluent in Spanish. He is admitted in many jurisdictions including the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. York has coached youth soccer for many years and is a Certified Women’s Self-Defense Instructor.
Harlan York regularly posts relevant news and information about trending immigration law topics on his immigration law blog
connect with Harlan York on Google +