How Can You Get a Green Card Fast? Here are the top 4 ways
The current uncertainty in the US immigration climate means that more people than ever are trying to ensure their residency in the US by pushing through their green cards. So many clients call us afraid of being deported, or worrying about losing work permits and drivers’ licenses, if they even have those benefits, at all.
So they ask: How Can I Get a Green Card Fast?
What are the fastest ways to get a Green Card in the US?
- Marriage – Well, Sure. The Number One Answer on the Board. It is quick. As long as it is real. And there are financial obligations to the government for the citizen applying for the immigrant spouse’s green card. Plus various other conditions. AND IT IS NOW AVAILABLE TO GAY IMMIGRANTS MARRIED TO US CITIZENS TOO. Green card is mere months away. Just do not try to file papers yourself. Rules and regulations and caselaw change all the time. Get an expert immigration lawyer to guide you, please.
- Extraordinary Ability – In sciences, arts, education, business or athletics. Think awards. Think prestige. Think international acclaim. But more than a Nobel, Pulitzer, Oscar, Emmy, Tony, Grammy or Olympic Medal, think about a full analysis by the best immigration lawyer you can find, to see if a green card might be an option here.
- Asylum – When I started practicing immigration law in the mid-90s, political asylum was granted about 15% of the time. Today the numbers are around 50%. You still have to show well founded fear of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a social group. If you do not file within a year of entry into the United States, you better have a very good reason. But a green card may be available to you, if you have fled a dangerous country because you were afraid of severe mistreatment. Talk to an immigration attorney who has vast experience in political asylum cases before exploring this option to get a green card.
- Diversity Visa Lottery – 50,000 people, more or less, from certain nations, are able to acquire a green card through the visa lottery. Notable on the list are people with at least a high school diploma or skilled labor from nations on continents throughout the world. You can file an application easily enough but many intelligent immigrants avail themselves of a lottery-based green card with the assistance of top immigration lawyers.
In ALL of the above cases certain conditions can affect your ability to Get a Green Card Fast.
- Trouble with Law Enforcement will interfere with the green card application process and might result in deportation.
- Fraud is a no-no. Even innocent mistakes can be construed as deception. So be warned.
Many other subtle issues can pop up throughout the green card process.
Don’t be hasty or impulsive.
When you ask, “How Can I Get a Green Card Fast?” the top answer is:
Seek advice from the best immigration lawyer you can find.