Immigrants make many unintentional mistakes in trying to straighten out their legal issues.
This blog post is designed for you to avoid those errors by pointing you to 5 essential tools.
- A properly trained, highly experienced, immigration attorney knows best how to solve immigration problems. Every advocate who deals with immigration law should have a copy of Kurzban’s Immigration Sourcebook. Just as importantly, they should be reading the Immigration and Nationality Act and the federal regulations. Experience with these tools will tell you much about their expertise. Check with immigration lawyers to see how frequently they study these materials, and moreover if they lecture to other attorneys on immigration law.
- A software package like LawLogix is costly at $29.95 a case. LawLogix is not a perfect tool. However, the forms program is still the most superior product out there. Working with attorneys who use LawLogix gives you an advantage in immigration law. Options such as other forms programs that cost less result in the oft-repeated “you get what you pay for.”
- A lawyer who is fluent in the language of his or her clients appears helpful. I speak Spanish with many of my immigration law clients. But I’m also fluent in immigration law. Some attorneys rely far too much on their ability to speak a certain language. They do not spend enough time in the language of immigration law. “Speaking” immigration law is a most significant tool. Something to consider carefully.
- A great number of “Jack of all trades” lawyers who have a “general practice” meet with immigrants. They try complex matters or even relatively routine immigration law cases. Yet rules and forms are always in flux. It is crucial for both immigrants and immigration law practitioners to be mindful of these constant changes. A great tool for you to seek out the best immigration law advice is a thorough use of internet resources such as BOTH peer reviews and client reviews on sites such as Best Lawyers, Google Reviews, Super Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, Lawyers.com, Avvo and US News and World Reports. Read the words carefully to find the right lawyer for you.
- A team of immigration lawyers is an excellent device to have at your disposal. While one attorney who handles immigration law might be helpful, a winning team is superior for a host of reasons. More opinions. More experience. More solutions. More victories.