Can You Vote If You Have A Green Card?
By: admin
January 13, 2023

Green card holders, also known as legal permanent residents, are allowed to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. However, one thing they are not able to do is vote in federal elections. Only U.S. citizens are allowed to vote in federal elections, including presidential, congressional, and local elections.

It’s important to note that while green card holders cannot vote in federal elections, some states and municipalities may allow them to vote in state and local elections. This varies by state and it’s important for green card holders to check with their state and local elections officials to see if they are eligible to vote in these elections.

Many green card holders strive to become citizens, as it not only grants them the right to vote but also allows them to fully participate in the democratic process. The process to become a citizen, also known as naturalization, involves passing a test on U.S. history and government, as well as a language test, and meeting certain residency and physical presence requirements.

In conclusion, green card holders may not be able to vote in federal elections, but some states and municipalities may allow them to vote in state and local elections. The process of naturalization is the only way for green card holders to vote in all elections and become full members of the American political community.

Where Can Green Card Holders Vote?
What Can Green Card Holders Vote For?

Need to Renew Your Green Card? Or Get One?

We are immigration law specialists that have helped thousands of people with their green card needs. Call us today and let us help you with your immigration needs.

About Harlan York

The first-ever attorney in New Jersey to win “Immigration Lawyer of the Year” from Best Lawyers, Harlan York is former immigration chair of the NJ State Bar Association and former co-chair for the NY State Bar Association CFLS Committee on Immigration. He currently serves on the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) National Practice Management Committee.

E-mail Us

Have a Question About Immigration?

Contact Harlan York with your questions. We answer emails within 24 hours or less.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Harlan York & Associates practices law in the areas of Immigration, Deportation Defense, Family Immigration, Corporate Immigration, Naturalization throughout Essex County – Hudson County – Morris County – Passaic County – Somerset County – Middlesex County – Bergen County – New Jersey -Immigration Lawyer – NJ Immigration Lawyer – Jersey City-Newark-Paterson Passaic Elizabeth Edison Woodbridge Toms River Hamilton Trenton Camden Clifton Passaic Garfield Wallington Cherry Hill East Orange Passaic Union City Bayonne Irvington Old Bridge Lakewood North Bergen Vineland Union Wayne Parsippany-Troy Hills New Brunswick Plainfield Bloomfield Perth Amboy East Brunswick West New York West Orange Hackensack Atlantic City Kearny Mount Laurel Montclair Essex Hoboken North Brunswick Belleville. In addition to serving clients in New York, Pennsylvania, the greater United States, and Internationally.

Contact Our Immigration Lawyers Now




Pay Invoice

Harlan York Has Been Featured On

Book A Consultation