- The second tragic earthquake in Haiti reinforces how temporary protected status is a necessity for nationals of that devastated country.
- Temporary Protected Status is applicable when events such as political unrest (i.e., civil war) and disasters (earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes, etc.) and other extraordinary conditions exist in a particular nation.
- Those who hold TPS cannot be detained or deported; they may apply for work permits.
- Immigrants who have been convicted of any felony or two or more misdemeanors in the United States cannot receive TPS.
- Haiti joins only five other countries (El Salvador, Honduras, Somalia, Nicaragua and Sudan) that currently are in TPS.
- PLEASE do not accept the advice of anyone who purports to be “an expert” or who has an agency set up for TPS applications without verifying their credentials.
- Many nonprofit groups and law firms will be available to assist folks who request TPS .
- Sadly, there will be a lot of people waiting to deceive Haitian citizens into applying, without knowing or caring about the law. BE CAREFUL.
About Harlan York
The first-ever attorney in New Jersey to win “Immigration Lawyer of the Year” from Best Lawyers, Harlan York is former immigration chair of the NJ State Bar Association and former co-chair for the NY State Bar Association CFLS Committee on Immigration. He currently serves on the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) National Practice Management Committee.
Have a Question About Immigration?
Contact Harlan York with your questions. We answer emails within 24 hours or less.
"*" indicates required fields
Harlan York & Associates practices law in the areas of Immigration, Deportation Defense, Family Immigration, Corporate Immigration, Naturalization throughout Essex County – Hudson County – Morris County – Passaic County – Somerset County – Middlesex County – Bergen County – New Jersey -Immigration Lawyer – NJ Immigration Lawyer – Jersey City-Newark-Paterson Passaic Elizabeth Edison Woodbridge Toms River Hamilton Trenton Camden Clifton Passaic Garfield Wallington Cherry Hill East Orange Passaic Union City Bayonne Irvington Old Bridge Lakewood North Bergen Vineland Union Wayne Parsippany-Troy Hills New Brunswick Plainfield Bloomfield Perth Amboy East Brunswick West New York West Orange Hackensack Atlantic City Kearny Mount Laurel Montclair Essex Hoboken North Brunswick Belleville. In addition to serving clients in New York, Pennsylvania, the greater United States, and Internationally.
Contact Our Immigration Lawyers Now