Immigration from Poland: Getting a Green Card in the US

Looking to Immigrate to the United States from Poland? The US has long been a place of refuge and opportunity for people from Poland. Here is the best advice on how to get your green card in the US if you are Polish.

How Can A Polish Citizen Get A Green Card In The US?

Traditional ways of getting green cards such as through marriage or work are always popular routes. You don’t even have to be married, you can now also apply for a fiance visa as long as you get married within 90 days of receiving the visa.

As of 2011 Polish Citizens may also enter the green card lottery for permanent residency in the US. These green card lotteries can be applied for on behalf of family by American citizens of Polish descent who wish to bring their family over to the US. The immigrant in question needs to pass the education or training requirements for the lottery visa.

Do I need an Immigration Lawyer?

Yes. Lotteries are applied for by hundreds of thousands of people per year, and only a fraction of those people are chosen. Even if you are applying for the lottery, your best bet is to look for an immigration attorney with a proven track record, and a history of helping people from your country.

Does my lawyer need to speak fluent Polish to help me?

No. Often people who are immigrating to the United States like the idea of someone who can speak their language. They look for a local lawyer that can speak their language, but may not necessarily be an immigration specialist.

With no disrespect to a lawyers who speak Polish (I know a number of good attorneys fluent in that language), it is not easy to locate a top immigration attorney who is also fluent in just any foreign language.

For instance: I happen to speak Spanish but my Polish is limited to “tak” and “dzień dobry.” But many people who have entered the United States from Poland have found my law firm to be helpful, and honest, and we have had many successes with Polish immigrants.

What kind of green card lawyer should I look for?

#1) You want to find a lawyer that has a proven history of immigration law. A specialist.

#2) You want to find a lawyer that is going to tell you the truth about if he can help you or not.

“Honesty is the first chapter of the book wisdom.” – Thomas Jefferson

Immigrants get robbed everyday by people who trick them into paying to file papers that will fail and can result in deportation. We tell people if we can help them, and don’t waste the precious money of those trying to find freedom or opportunity in our great country.

On our website we essentially say:


Please feel free to contact us if you have arrived in America after immigration from Poland. We will give you honest advice about what to do.

I may not speak much Polish, but I am fluent in  Immigration Law.


Written by: Harlan York

Immigration Attorney Harlan York is Former Chair, Immigration Section, NJ State Bar Association and Former Co-Chair, NY State Bar Association CFLS Immigration Committee. Mr. York appeared on National Television on CBS This Morning with Charlie Rose and Primer Impacto on Univision, as well as Telemundo, NBC, and PBS. He was honored as First Ever Immigration Lawyer of The Year in NJ by Best Lawyers.

Do you have a question about Family Immigration?

Call us anytime at 973.642.1111 or email us using the form below.